Juicy, sweet, and spicy oyster mushroom burger with lamb’s lettuce, tomatoes, red onions, and chili mayo. This veggie burger is super easy to make and packed with flavor. It can also be made on a weeknight.
Oyster mushrooms are common winter mushrooms that can be found in nature. They often grow on dead or half-dead tree trunks. Oyster mushrooms are also grown commercially and can therefore often be found in supermarkets all year round. Both wild and cultivated oyster mushrooms can be used for this recipe.
You can also replace the oyster mushrooms with other mushrooms such as shiitake, button mushrooms, portobello, or a mix.
The oyster mushrooms are pan-fried in a generous amount of oil and then basted in butter, garlic, and honey. This gives them a lovely glaze, which is perfect in a brioche burger bun.
I make an easy chili mayo by mixing a good quality mayonnaise with a hot chili sauce. Other burger dressings can also be used. There are two burgers for each person, as these burgers are not as heavy as traditional burgers. This makes for a nice, light feeling afterward. If you’re still full after the first burger, you can always save it for the next day.
Spicy Oyster Mushroom Burger
- 1,5 dl mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp hot chilli sauce
- 8 brioche buns
- 1 bag lamb's lettuce
- 4 medium-sized tomatoes, sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- Neutral oil
- 500 g oyster mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- Salt and pepper
- Sliced cheese
- Mix mayonnaise with hot chilli sauce in a bowl. Add more chilli sauce if you like it hot.
- Slice the tomatoes and red onions and arrange in a dish with the lamb's lettuce.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C/400 degrees F (or read instructions on the brioche buns' packet).
- Heat a large pan with a generous amount of neutral oil. Turn up the heat to high.
- Place the oyster mushrooms in a single layer on the pan, frying just a small part at a time. They should be golden on both sides. This takes about 3-5 minutes. If the pan is dry, add a little extra oil to prevent burning. When the mushrooms are done, transfer them to a dish and fry the next mushrooms in the same way.
- When all the mushrooms are golden, return them to the pan and turn down the heat. Add 2-3 peeled, whole garlic cloves and a tablespoon of butter and stir well. When the butter has melted, drizzle the honey over all the mushrooms and stir well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat the brioche buns in the oven according to the package instructions.
- Serve the burger with chilli mayo on both sides, lamb's lettuce on the bottom, oyster mushrooms, tomatoes and red onion and a slice of cheese (optional).
Pingback: Pan Fried Oyster Mushrooms - Nordic Forest Foods