This Elderflower and Lemon Cupcakes recipe makes moist cupcakes with a delicate taste of elderflowers and lemon. The cupcakes are super delicious and can be hard to leave alone. To make this recipe, you need to make this simple homemade elderflower cordial and add freshly squeezed lemon juice for optimal taste. The cupcakes are topped with a buttercream frosting that also contains elderflower cordial and lemon juice.
Elderflower and Lemon Cupcakes
- 1 cup (200 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (200 grams) sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ⅓ cups (200 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- Juice from half a lemon
- ¼ cup (1/2 deciliter) elderflower cordial, see recipe above
- ⅓ cup (60 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 ½ cups (6 deciliters) icing powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons elderflower cordial, see recipe above
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius).
- Place butter, sugar, and eggs in a kitchen machine and mix well.
- In another mixing bowl, mix all-purpose flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add the flour mixture, lemon juice, and elderflower cordial into the butter mixture and mix well.
- Divide the dough into 18 muffin paper cups. Fill them up 3/4 parts since they will rise in the oven.
- Bake them at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius) for about 15-18 minutes.
- Let them cool down.
- Place softened butter in a kitchen machine and start whisking at its slowest speed, then increase the speed to create a light and fluffy mixture.
- Add icing sugar, elderflower cordial, and lemon juice, and whisk well.
- Place the buttercream frosting in a star-shaped nozzle and apply the frosting to the muffins.