Delicious, rich, roasted pumpkin soup with foraged walnuts. This soup is healthy, filling, and perfect for a cold autumn evening.
This soup is extra delicate because the pumpkin, onion, and potatoes are roasted in the oven. This makes for a really delicious pumpkin soup! The icing on the cake is the sweet and salty foraged walnuts as a topping. They are toasted in the pan with honey and sprinkled with a pinch of good sea salt.
The pumpkin soup with honey-toasted walnuts can be served as an appetizer or as a main course.
Roasted pumpkin soup with honey toasted walnuts sprinkled with sea salt
- 1 kilogram (2.2 Ib) edible pumpkin, seeded and cut into slices
- 1 onion, in wedges
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 potatoes, in quarters
- 1 fresh red chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 liter (6 1/3 cups) vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1.5 deciliter (5/8 cup) heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- Freshly ground pepper
- 100 grams (3.5 oz) walnuts kernels
- 1.5 tablespoons honey
- Sea salt
Roast the vegetables
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees Celcius (430 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Place the pumpkin slices, onion wedges, cloves of garlic, potatoes in quarters, and the whole fresh red chili on a baking tray covered with parchment paper.
- Brush the vegetables with olive oil and roast them in the oven for about 40 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, make the walnut topping.
- Toast the walnuts on a medium-hot, dry pan for 5 minutes. Add honey and toast for another 1-2 minutes until golden.
- Place the toasted walnuts on parchment paper and sprinkle with sea salt. Let cool down.
- Take out the roasted vegetables and let them cool until you can touch them without burning yourself.
- Cut off the skin of the pumpkin and cut all vegetables in smaller pieces. Take away the seeds from the chili if you do not like the soup too spicy.
- Heat up 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large cooks pot and add all the roasted vegetables, lemon juice, and vegetable broth.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Blend the soup till smooth consistency.
- Add heavy cream and season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
Serve the dish
- Cut the toasted walnuts into smaller pieces and serve as topping on the pumpkin soup.