The hedgehog mushroom (hydnum repandum) is a very tasteful wild mushroom and goes well in pasta. This hedgehog mushrooms and bacon pasta is very creamy and is made with garlic, onion, thyme, oregano, parsley, heavy cream, parmesan cheese and contains, therefore, a lot of flavors.
The hedgehog mushroom is a good beginner mushroom to forage since it’s easy to identify and is a really tasty wild mushroom. It is especially recognizable by the fact that the underside of the cap has lots of white spines.
The hedgehog mushrooms used in this recipe are foraged and found in Denmark. I went into the forest with one of my best friends Siv, who never had foraged any wild mushrooms before. Surprisingly, she was the first to find both hedgehogs and porcini mushrooms. By the look of her face, it is obvious that she was happy about her first found.
Hedgehog Mushrooms and Bacon Pasta
- 10 ½ - 14 ounces (300-400 grams) dried penne pasta
- 4 ½ ounces (130 grams) bacon
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 tablespoon Fresh oregano
- 7 ½ ounces (200 grams) fresh hedgehog mushrooms, cubed
- 7/8 cup (2 deciliters) heavy cream
- 1 cup (2 deciliters) pasta cooking water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 ½ ounces (40 grams) freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 handful parsley, chopped
- Cook pasta according to packaged directions. Save 1 cup (2 deciliters) pasta cooking water once the pasta is cooked.
- On a large frying pan over medium-high heat, cook the bacon until crispy. Do not use any oil or butter, since the bacon contains a lot of fat itself. Remove bacon from the frying pan a place on kitchen paper. Do not discard the bacon grease.
- Reduce heat and add olive oil, onion, and garlic to the bacon grease. Stir constantly for 2 minutes until the onion and garlic have softened.
- Add thyme, oregano, and mushrooms and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of pasta water, heavy cream, and bring to a gentle boil. Let cook for 1-2 minutes and add afterwards the drained pasta. Cook until the sauce thickens and the sauce sticks to the pasta.
- Add butter, parmesan cheese, and stir well. Serve with cooked bacon and chopped parsley.