Cabbage wrap with grilled chanterelles, grilled chicken, and avocado is the perfect light meal for any occasion. For this recipe, you will need a whole fresh chicken, fresh chanterelles, and a barbecue with indirect heat. The chicken is made in a homemade, tasty marinade, that really makes the whole dish come together. The freshly foraged chanterelles are packed in a foil packet with butter, rosemary, and flake salt, and taste delicious together with the chicken. Serve the chicken and chanterelles in a fresh crispy Chinese cabbage leaf with slices of avocado, and enjoy.
Cabbage Wrap with Grilled Chanterelles, Grilled Chicken and Avocado
- 1 whole chicken (around 4 Ib/2 kg)
- ⅜ cup (1 deciliter) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- Juice from half a lemon
- 0.7 pounds (350 grams) fresh chanterelles
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- Flake salt
- 1 chinese cabbage
- 2 avocado, sliced
- Pat chicken dry and remove any impurities.
- In a small bowl, mix together the marinade (olive oil, brown sugar, paprika powder, chili powder, fine salt, and juice from half a lemon).
- Place the chicken in a large dish and apply the marinade. Make sure to rub it in everywhere. Keep the chicken flat with skin side up. Let it rest in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Grill the chicken on indirect heat - which means you place the coal on one side of the barbecue and place the chicken on the other side where there is no coal.
- Cover and cook for about 45 minutes to 1 hour or until the chicken's internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit / 75 degrees Celsius.
- Let the chicken cool for a bit and tear it apart using two forks. Mix the juice/melted fat from the chicken with the meat so that the meat gets even more flavor and juicy.
- Place the cleaned chanterelles in two double packets of foil. If the chanterelles are large, cut them in half.
- Add one tablespoon of butter to each foil packet, 1 sprig of rosemary, and flake salt and close them.
- Place the chanterelle foil packets on the barbecue on indirect heat for about 20-30 minutes, depending on how hot the barbecue is. Check the chanterelles after 15 minutes and stir. If the butter has not melted, move the chanterelles packets to direct heat, but watch out that it does not burn.
- Separate the cabbage leaves from the head and rinse and pat them dry. It is important to wait with this step until just before serving. Otherwise, the leaves won't be that crispy.
- Take one cabbage leave for each person and add chicken, chanterelles, and avocado. Serve immediately.